Table of Contents
Folks travel the world to experience new cultures, heritage, art and enjoy some tasty dining not necessarily found in Corpus Christi.
But did you know we have more than 20 different types of nationalities, countries and ethnicities represented at local restaurants in the Coastal Bend?
If you’re looking to try out some Peruvian dishes or French pastries, be sure to check out these spots.
Barbecue is a longtime tradition in the United States, especially in Texas. There’s quite a bit of BBQ spots in Corpus Christi, but here are some the Caller-Times suggests:
- The Bar-B-Q Man Restaurant: 4931 IH-37 South
- Garrett’s Barbecue: 322 N. Staples St., 6062 Holly Road
- Hoegemeyer’s Barbeque Barn: 711 Concrete St.
- Howard’s BBQ & Catering: 1002 Antelope St.
- Julian’s BBQ: 1818 Baldwin Blvd.
- Mike Cotten’s Barbecue: 15013 Northwest Blvd.
- Miller’s Bar-B-Q: 6601 Weber Road, 10305 Leopard St.
- Salty Oak BBQ: 4855 S. Alameda St.
Most Chinese restaurants in Corpus Christi are considered an “American-version” of takeout, but some of these spots provide authentic cuisine:
- Asian Cafe: 2233 Airline Road
- Dao Authentic Asian Cuisine: 2033 Airline Road
- Golden Crown Inn: 2739 S. Staples St.
- Hibachi Grill Supreme Buffet: 5274 S. Staples St.
- Hunan Express: 5502 Everhart Road, 5997 Williams Dr.
- JaJa Cafe: 5714 McArdle Road
The Czech Republican community is small but strong in the Corpus Christi area, with a yearly celebration held at the Moravian Hall. Be sure to visit this local bakery and cafe:
- Czeck-Mex Bakery & Cafe: 711 N. Carancahua St.
Ever had lumpias? If not, you’re missing out. These tasty items are fried spring rolls filled with savory or sweet insides. Check out this local restaurant:
- Little Manila Lumpia House: 2124 Waldron Road, 7426 S. Staples St.
While we may not have a restaurant specializing in soupe de poissons (fish soup) or escargot (snails), we do have a French-themed bakery:
- Bien Mérité: 1336 S. Staples St.
Corpus Christi has one German restaurant that opened in 2011. Customers will find strudel, cakes, pies and other German foods at this local eatery:
- JB’s German Restaurant & Bakery: 4141 S. Staples St.
If you don’t feel like waiting for the Greek Food Festival held at the Greek Orthodox Church in November, check out these local restaurants to get your Greek on:
- Eirini’s Gyros & More: 4360 S. Alameda St.
- Gyro Express: 711 N. Carancahua St.
Chicken masala, curry, samosas — do we need to go on? Visit these local Indian restaurants for tasty cuisines:
- Pavani Express: 3206 Tiger Lane
- Persis Indian Grill & Bar: 4650 Corona Drive
What’s more romantic than enjoying a bowl full of pasta with creamy Alfredo sauce and tasty shrimp while enjoying a glass of Pinot Grigio? If that made you hungry, check out these restaurants:
- Bella Luna: 429 Schatzell St.
- Bellino’s Ristorante Italiano e Bottega: 3815 S. Alameda St.
- Frank’s Spaghetti House: 2724 Leopard St.
- Island Italian: 15370 S. Padre Island Drive
- Luciano’s Italian Restaurant: 1821 S. Alameda St.
- Maggie’s Family Kitchen: 5334 Everhart Road
- Rigatoni’s Italian Restaurant: 10501 Leopard St.
Lovers of sushi most likely know all of the local Japanese restaurants. If not, check these out:
- Aka Sushi Downtown: 415 N. Water St.
- Dokyo Dauntaun: 424 N. Chaparral St.
- Koi Sushi & Hibachi: 5301 Everhart Road
- Oyshi Sushi: 6181 Saratoga Blvd.
- Roaming Ronin: 2306 Airline Road
- Yoshi Japanese Cuisine: 5898 Everhart Road
From a barbecue restaurant to a fried chicken joint, here are three local Korean restaurants found in Corpus Christi:
- Big Bowl Korean BBQ: 6410 Weber Road
- BO Korean BQQ: 6042 S. Padre Island Drive
- Koko’s Crispy Fried Chicken: 6418 S. Staples St.
There is only one Lebanese restaurant in Corpus Christi, and it has been here for nearly 10 years. Some of the dishes include shawarma, kabab, hummus and baklava:
- Kuzina Lebanese Grill: 3801 Saratoga Blvd.
Owner and chef Jordan Jaradat noticed Corpus Christi didn’t offer authentic Mediterranean cuisine, so he decided to open his own restaurant specializing in a worldly dining experience:
- Ginger Café & Grill: 7009 S. Staples St.
Here in South Texas, if there’s not a Mexican restaurant around the corner, you’re missing out. There are many, but here are some the Caller-Times suggests:
- Acapulco Restaurant: 4425 Weber Road, 6517 Weber Road, 1133 Airline Road, 5937 McArdle Road
- Cancun Mexican Restaurant: 6314 Yorktown Blvd., 4252 S. Alameda St.
- El Potro: 1401 Rodd Field Road, 6085 Weber Road
- Hi-Ho Restaurant: 3703 Morgan Ave.
- Kiko’s Mexican Food Restaurant & Cantina: 5514 Everhart Road
- La Playa: 5017 Saratoga Blvd., 4201 S. Padre Island Drive, 227 N. Water St.
- La Ribera: 1602 Morgan Ave.
Located on North Padre Island, this Peruvian restaurant provides a fish of the day and a happy hour:
- Costa Sur Wok & Ceviche Bar: 15113 S. Padre Island Drive
Tucked away inside Moore Plaza, this Puerto Rican restaurant specializes in all things “boricua” including camaron guisado and guava pastellilos:
- El Taino: 5425 S. Padre Island Drive
This ethnic cuisine — traditionally high in proteins, carbohydrates and fried meat — was created in the south, and at least two local restaurants are keeping that tradition alive in Corpus Christi:
- PKK: 615 N. Upper Broadway St.
- Trap House Kitchen: In-between places but often sells dishes at The Block Corpus Christi at 917 S. Staples St.
Along with Taiwanese food, the Moore Plaza restaurant also serves Filipino and Chinese food:
- Taiwan Restaurant: 5425 S. Padre Island Drive
Craving kao soi or pad thai? Check out these local Thai restaurants:
- BKK thai kitchen & bar: 3850 S. Alameda St., 6702 S. Staples St.
- Nom’s Kitchen: 13923 S. Padre Island Drive
- Thai Cottage: 5830 McArdle Road
- Thai Spice: 523 N. Water St.
- Tuk Tuk Thai Restaurant: 6314 Yorktown Blvd.
This local restaurant specializes in Latin American dishes, specifically Venezuelan. If you’re looking for sancocho de pollo or arepitas de pernil, be sure to check this place out:
- Ora’s Kitchen: 5433 S. Staples St.
No matter the weather, pho is delicious and cannot be passed up. Here are some local Vietnamese restaurants to visit soon:
- Bamboo Garden Restaurant: 1220 Airline Road
- Hu-Dat Noodle House: 6418 S. Staples St., 14017 Northwest Blvd.
- Pho Life: 5865 Weber Road
- Pho Tastic & Deli: 4701 S. Padre Island Drive
- Vietnam Restaurant: 701 N. Water St.
More:‘Corpus is growing’: Check out these six new businesses in Corpus Christi
More:Here’s how Nueces County restaurants scored in health inspections for July 2023
More:Here are 13 of the most expensive dishes found in Coastal Bend restaurants